Central Point School District #6

All District 6 schools on 2 hour delay for Wednesday, December 11

Temperatures did not get as warm as expected and although roads have improved significantly, there are still very icy areas.  In order to give bus drivers increased visibility, all District 6 schools will be on a two hour delay on Wednesday, December 11.  Further, transportation will use “snow routes.”

Please note that there will be NO PLC schedule (Wednesday late start/early release schedule).   School start times will be two hours later than regular start times  and elementary will not have an early dismissal.
Crater and Scenic —10:50 am start time
Hanby—11:00 am start time
No morning Kinder at MRE.  Afternoon kindergarten should come for lunch at 11:00, class will begin at 11:25 with dismissal at 2:25.
All Elementary schools will release at their regular dismissal times (between 2:10 and 2:25 depending on school and grade level)—no early release for PLC.

49 Responses to “All District 6 schools on 2 hour delay for Wednesday, December 11”

1. Kelley says:

I don’t think there should be school tomorrow on Wednesday December 11, because of how icy the roads are and there a lot of teenagers driving that this is very dangerous to drive in. There is also still a lot of areas where the road is super icy.

2. Dallas hoover says:

You guy need colsure school stell 19 temp today

3. Mark Sanders says:

I strongly disagree with this. I don’t like the fact that there hasn’t been school, but it’s not safe for children to be driving in these conditions. I don’t trust any kids to be driving in the ice, especially what happened to that student crossing scenic high way, there wasn’t even any ice, just fog. I think that we should wait another day for because the weather hasn’t even changed really, there is still a lot of ice. As for the gold hill kids, there’s still a lot of actual snow on the roads! I don’t want my kid, or any kid for that matter to be on the roads.

4. Trinity St.Clair says:

Although there is a two hour delay I think that there just shouldn’t be school because the roads are still really icy.

5. Concerned Parent says:

The roads are still very icy and the buses drive very fast so they are just putting the kids in danger. So they should just close school tomorrow.

6. Cynthia says:

I am honestly very concerned about the roads. I don’t think they are safe to drive on. Please consider closing the schools tomorrow, December 11th, 2013.

7. Johanna says:

As a parent with children who live by roads that are still very unsafe I don’t think that in those 2 hours the road conditions will have improved. Since my children drive themselves to school and I’m still not comfortable with these conditions so I will not be allowing my children to school. I’m sure I’m not the only parent who has made this decision and I don’t find it fair that because I’m looking out for my childrens safety that they would have to make up school. Please consider having a full day off tomorrow, thank you.

8. Jacque LaFleur says:

Load the buses and get these kids to school please, also if you dont like the bus service just drive your kids to school…. Problem solved

• Very concerned parent says:

Not all parents have the capabilities to drive their children to and from school. I do, but not all.

• Problem NOT solved says:

Kids take the bus because their parents can’t take them to school. They probably work early or they’re sick!

9. Sherry Ziemer says:

Have they cleaned up the roads around Hanby? The school is on a hill and is very hard to get to if the roads haven’t been tended to.

10. Logan Baker says:

My mom and I went to Old Military and the roads were still icy.

• Godley says:

Logan I agree. We live up here on the hill and I cannot get up the hill without 4 wheel Drive. The buses will not make it up this hill even tomorrow afternoon.

11. Joni Dloughy says:

I strongly disagree there should be no school

12. Very concerned parent says:

I am surprised that a 2 hour delay is all we are having. The temperatures are not what they expected….and school should still be cancelled. Children on buses and teens driving in these conditions are not safe!!

13. Amy Spencer says:

As a worried parent, I would like to see that there is no school Wednesday, December 11 due to very dangerous ice on the road. I would not like my son on the roads driving and I can speak for every parent with there teenage kids driving. There is still a significant amount of snow on the roads and multiple crashes and wrecks. I am a first hand witness of sliding on ice today passing through central point on my way to work. It is very dangerous and would like to see the safety of the kids. Please do the right thing and protect the kids. Anything can happen. Thank you so much.

14. Anne says:

I’m not letting my kid go to school tomorrow, it’s not safe to drive. Just cancel!

15. Rachel Lowder says:

My daughter Dana got into a wreck the other day and a lot of her friends got into wrecks this weekend due to icy roads. As much as I hate having my kids not go to school, I feel the safest thing to do. I don’t feel it’s smart to have school tomorrow. I’m a concerned parent and don’t want anyone hurt or any parent to feel the way I did. Thank you.

16. Maria says:

I agree with all of the above responses. I was watching my gutters dripping water from the melting snow and then quickly freezing as soon as it hit the ground! So not only am I concerned about the roads and kids crossing them on the ice but also them walking or running on the icy walkways.

17. A. Kelly says:

Hello! I am very upset about the 2 hour delay. My son recently got his license and for the past four days I have prohibited him from driving anywhere. The ice has stayed the same on the roads and because of the freezing temperatures I do not feel as if it will be better for tomorrow. Never the less, a two hour delay should not help. The ice isn’t melting! It is very dangerous. Even with my experience in driving in the ice, I still slip! I do not want to put any children in danger. Save money and wait until the ice melts because a four hour day. Please consider this cancelation for december 11th. Thank you!

18. Curtis says:

7 classes in 4 hours? What is the point of it! And besides the roads are still very dangerous!!!

19. Wendy S. says:

I really do feel that Central Point District 6 schools should stay closed due to the risk with the icy roads when my child rides the bus in the morning. I don’t want anything to happen to mine and other families around the school district. Please reconsider keeping the schools closed till the slick roads have been cleared. Plus all of the high school drivers that don’t have a lot of expierience in this weather should not be driving on the ice, I really do hope that you cancel, the students already have a two hour delay, but what’s the point of that? Might as well cancel the rest of the day and start fresh and safe, Thursday! Thank you.

20. Tara says:

I don’t think there should be any school for safety reasons

21. Mary Stewart says:

Is it worth risking everybody’s safety to get to and from school considering how much actual time the kids will be learning tomorrow with the 2 hour delay? We need to close school tomorrow to ensure the safety of all.

22. Bethany B says:

As a very concerned parent I strongly disagree with the decision made referring to the 2 hour delay. I myself was struggling with icy roads and I am worried as to how a bus of children would make it to school safely under icy conditions. I feel that to insure the overall safety of our students, cancellation of school on December, 11th should be further reviewed. Thank you for your consideration.

23. Janet says:

I am very concerned about the icy roads. It warmed up enough today to cause a little melting, but dropped below freezing before sunset. It’s supposed to get down to 20 tonight with freezing fog rolling in until 10 am, then will be foggy. So not only will the kids that are driving (and the bus drivers) have to deal with icy road conditions, they won’t be able to see very well. I feel schools should close – If snow days need to be made up, that can be added later.

24. Dakota Licea says:

I think that they should cancel school. There were a lot of accidents over the weekend due to ice and there is still ice on the roads now. I think the safest thing, to keep all the teens driving safe is to cancel school for the day. And re open it when the roads are safer for people to drive on. There are people in Sams Valley and Medford who can’t leave safely due to ice.

25. Tina says:

I feel it would be much safer if school was to be cancelled on December 11th. I don’t feel comfortable with the buses and students that may have to drive on these icy roads and in these conditions.

26. Student says:

I dont think there should be school on December,11 2013 cause of this kinda weather. I live out in Sams Valley and there is still a big layer of ice on the roads.There has been several cars in the ditch due to the ice and the bad weather. Also the bus drivers are not safe. Especially with the ice on the roads. Please close down the school district 6 due to the very icy roads. Thank you.

27. Jake says:

Where I live it’s so icy, I’ve never been in this bad of conditions and we should deffinitely cancel tomorrow not only, and as noted in the comments above many parents think this is an asinine decision to put many kids at risk

28. Lmaze says:

A two delay will make no difference. The roads are still icy and will remain icy two hours later. I don’t want my child riding on a bus with a driver who is not used to driving a bus in icy conditions. I strongly disagree with this decision and feel that central point schools should be closed tomorrow. My child may be staying home either way!

29. Gwen W. says:

Better safe than sorry, AM I RIGHT DISTRICT 6? Don’t be dumb. Cancel school.

30. Molly says:

Yeah, because the snow/ice will melt in two hours. That’s some logic right there.

31. Daniel says:

I was out today and the roads are still very icy. The kids will hardly be in school tomorrow, so why risk the safety of our children. Just close the school tomorrow I don’t want my kids out, it”s not safe.

32. Balesha Compton says:

I strongly disagree with this decision, I don’t want to risk my child slipping on the icy roads. Most of the roads in fact have very much icy and I also slid into the other lane while trying to get to work. So please cancel school for the safety of our teens!

33. Susan says:

I am not about to let my child drive to school tomorrow in these conditions! Nor will I be driving them, it is far too dangerous. Honestly, I can’t believe the school district would even consider letting kids go to school tomorrow in these treacherous conditions. My child will be staying home tomorrow, you can count on that. And I advise everyone else to do the same!

34. Brad says:

Regardless of the decision my kids will not be attending school. The conditions are just not safe for buses and kids to drive. 16 y/o drivers are not near experienced enough drivers to get through conditions this harsh. I have taken the week off of work because I feel it it’s not worth the risk. School should continue to be closed until there is no question that the buses and kids can get to school safely. I feel that most if not all the parents will agree with me.

35. Bart says:

There’s no point in going. 4 hours of school? No thanks. My child is not going. End of story.

36. Shaquan says:

Im sorry but I really feel as though we should not have school tomorrow due to icy roads and inexperienced teenage driving. I don’t want to get on the road and be slipping and sliding all over the place. Please reconsider.

Shaquan II

37. aubrey campbell says:

I think that we should just cancel school for the rest of the week due to icy roads and just fill in budget cut days with the days we miss

38. john says:

I agree with all statements about school cancellation. It is very icy here and I don’t feel comfortable driving or letting my daughter take the bus tomorrow!

39. Jacque LaFleur says:

To all the parents on here blaming just teenage drivers to be bad drivers I would say, actually its pretty much any buddy driving in this area. You people are terrible at driving in less the stellar conditions more or less.